“SUMERNET 4 All” (S4A), the ongoing phase of SUMERNET (2019-2023), focusing on water insecurity in the Mekong Region is providing a 12-month fellowship hosted at the SUMERNET Secretariat in Bangkok, Thailand.
The fellowships are intended for young and early-career (not older than 35 years) Mekong Region citizens with researcher and/or practitioner backgrounds from the countries of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.
One of the focuses of SUMERNET 4 All interventions is to improve capacity of young and early career professionals in the fields relevant to SUMERNET areas of work: research, policy engagement, communications and project management (including monitoring & evaluation). During this fellowship period, SUMERNET would like to focus on project management area.
- To strengthen knowledge, capacity and skill of young Mekong citizen researchers, development practitioners, those interested in communications and media work, and graduate students.
- To help deliver credible, gender inclusive, human rights-based, conflict-sensitive, and poverty-reducing research, practice and communications related to water insecurity in the Mekong Region.
- To strengthen the partnership and networking opportunities between their institutions of origin with the SUMERNET Steering Committee, SUMERNET Secretariat and other SUMERNET member institutes. Young professionals or graduate students from the member institutes of SUMERNET will be given higher priority for this grant.
- To enhance a sense of ownership of the early career researchers, development practitioners, communication or media people, or graduate students towards SUMERNET as a regional research network.
The SUMERNET 4 All Fellow will receive a monthly allowance of SEK 7,500 (approximately US$ 750) to cover basic living costs and accommodation while residing in Bangkok, Thailand plus standard/economic level Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) costs, basic health/travel insurance, and relevant direct costs (return flight and transit accommodations) plus internet/communication costs. For the duration of their fellowship, SEI will arrange a Thailand visa and work permit fees to enable the fellow to legally live and work in Thailand.
The duration of this grant is 12 months. There is a possibility to extend the fellowship for another term of 6-12 months dependent on the evaluation of the candidate’s work and with the agreement of all parties concerned (SUMERNET fellow, SUMERNET Steering Committee, SUMERNET Secretariat, and also if relevant, the candidate’s home institution).
- Candidate is a citizen of one of the Mekong Region countries (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam) and is not older than 35 years at the start of the fellowship.
- Holds at least a bachelor’s degree and/or is in the process of obtaining Master’s or PhD degree in the subjects relevant to the S4A programme of work.
- At least 2 years work experience in a field related to the S4A programme of work.
- Available to commit to a 12-month full-time period of stay in Thailand based with the SUMERNET Secretariat in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Proficiency in English language along with their native language in the Mekong Region.
- Candidates who submit the letter or proof of previous work showing that they are known to, or recommended by, an institution that is a member of SUMERNET will be given priority in the selection process.
- Candidates with relevant experience and who express interest on developing capacity under Component 4 (Project Management including M&E) will be given priority in the selection process.
- Application submission deadline: 31 October 2021
- Application review: 1 – 12 November 2021
- Panel interview: tentatively 15 – 19 November 2021
- Endorsement by SSC and announcement: 22 – 26 November 2021
- Start date of fellowship: the earliest possible in 2022 (considering travel restrictions)
For detailed call, please refer to our announcement at this website link or directly download the call document (in pdf) at this link.
Please ensure you have the following documents before going through with this online submission:
- Motivation letter;
- Recent Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- At least two references (current or former work/academic supervisors);
- At least one letter of recommendation from current home institution or previous institution (optional);
- Letter from home institution, guaranteeing that the applicant will return to working at the home institution after finishing the fellowship (this is optional)
Please proceed to below form to submit your application.